Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Douglas Winslow <douglas@min.net>
To:        Ask Bjoern Hansen <ask@valueclick.com>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Michael Kenneth Henry <mhenry@black.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slashdot-like site

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Joseph Scott wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >         http://osonline.org/bsd/
> > >
> > > Thought you might be interested.
> >
> > 	Hummm.  I hadn't ever come across that site before.  Although I thought
> > it was interesting that when I tried http://osonline.org/ it defaults to
> > /linux/  :-)
>
> Not here, with netscape on FreeBSD.  :-)

If you aren't logged on with a user account on the site, it'll redirect
you to whatever section it thinks is most appropriate based on your
browser's user agent string.  If you are using Lynx, it'll revert to a
(very quickly hacked in) text-only mode.

Someone mentioned that some Netscape versions may report as Linux 2.0.36
due to the FreeBSD's Linux emulation layer, but I'm not sure exactly how I
can get around that.  The biggest complaint is from people using the
Junkbuster proxy, as it spoofs a Macintosh user agent string. :-)

If you do happen to be logged on with the cookie, it'll redirect you to
whichever section you were in when you were last visiting.

> > 	As someone has already pointed out, the author claims that he wrote the
> > site himself in PHP.  Slashdot is written in Perl ( last time I looked
> > anyway :-)
>
> Slashdot runs on apache/mod_perl.

The code on osonline.org is PHP from top to bottom.  It started out as my
first PHP program, which was a plain vanilla threaded message board.  Now
it's grown into this monstrosity. :-)

All of the development was done at home on a FreeBSD machine running the
apache13-php3 port with the PostgreSQL option enabled.

It's currently running (very happily) on a 3.3-RC FreeBSD box co-located
at my job.

--
Douglas R. Winslow III
MetroNet Internet Services, LLC