Date:      Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:18:41 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Need to update man section 4!

Folks, now that 5.0-RELEASE is one year away, we have plenty of time
to update manual pages in -CURRENT!

There must be so many changes to be committed. One of these is the
section 4. Because of the changes in the kernel configuration file and
the introduction of /boot/device.hints, we need massive update there.

All the lines describing lines in kernel configuration file must be
changed from
	device foo0 at isa port xxx irq yyy...
	device foo
and its resource "hints" in /boot/device.hints must be described.

In addition, a number of man 4 pages appear to be simply out of date,
with respect to resource allocation and probe/attach behavior in the
newbus framework.

I made preliminary changes to some of the files in man4 and
man4/man4.i386.  But I am not quite sure if I have done it right, and
there still are so many more files to be changed.

- Files I have tried to update:

In src/share/man/man4:
adv.4, adw.4, aha.4, ahc.4, ata.4, atkbd.4, atkbdc.4, bt.4, cd.4,
da.4, fdc.4, gusc.4, joy.4, lp.4, lpt.4, pass.4, pcm.4, pcvt.4, psm.4,
rp.4, sa.4, sbc.4, si.4, sio.4, syscons.4, vga.4, vpo.4

In src/share/man/man4/man4.i386:
aic.4, asc.4, cs.4, cx.4, cy.4, el.4, fe.4, ie.4, le.4, lnc.4,
matcd.4, mcd.4, mse.4, pcf.4, scd.4, sr.4, wt.4

- Files I have NOT yet modified:

In src/share/man/man4:
an.4, awi.4, ef.4, ppc.4, scsi.4

In src/share/man/man4/man4.i386:
ar.4, dgb.4, labpc.4, rdp.4, sb.4, wd.4, wl.4

There are possibly more files which need update :-(

Please have a look at my preliminary patch at

http://people.freebsd.org/~yokota/man4update.diff

Spend a bit of time to blush up the page for the driver which
you are familiar with, and commit it.

Thank you,
Kazu