Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:50:43 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brent Bailey <misterb@bmyster.com>
Cc:        neteng@doubleclick.net
Subject:   chrooted ftpd

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:42:30AM -0400, Brent Bailey wrote:
> Hello,
> Im using FBSD 4.8 and im trying to chroot stock ftpd ....something that i
> have done on many other prior versions of FBSD by doing:
> 1. Kill the inetd process
> 2. vi /etc/defaults/make.conf
> 3. Insert  FTPD_INTERNAL_LS=3DYES at the bottom of the file
> 4. cd /usr/src/libexec/ftpd
> 5. make clean    <---works
> 6. make all      <--- it fails here
> 7. make install
>=20
> but for some reason  i get this error..
>=20
> "make: don't know how to make ls.c. Stop"
>=20
>=20
> have things changed in 4.8 or the instructions for chrooting stock ftpd
> changed ???  please help as i have many users that need this ability and i
> dont want them just wandering around in other directories
> Any and all help is very appreciated

I guess that is no longer supported with the default ftpd(8).
However, the system provides lukemftpd(8) as an alternative now.  That
supports a much enhanced capability to chroot ftp users, compared to
the regular ftpd(8).  No recompilation necessary.

I believe lukemftpd(8) is a port of the default ftpd from NetBSD.  Not
sure why it hasn't completely replaced the original FreeBSD ftpd yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=09

--=20
                                                      Savill Way