Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:01:24 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults! (Was: Re: wats so special about freeBSD?)

On Fri 2000-09-22 (06:52), Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> I submitted two awk scripts to this list late last week that disable
> services in inetd that those of us who are paranoid would normally
> remove.  Absolutely no one was interested.  For that matter I didn't
> even receive a comment about the scripts from you.  Absolutely nobody
> is interested in this issue.  The defaults are there because the
> majority wants them there.

If you could tell us how to plug them in somewhere, it might be nice.
Do we have 'awk' on the install disk so it can be used there?

(personally, I'd prefer we have /etc/inetd.conf (commented) and
/etc/inetd.conf.wideopen, and we twiddle some bits in sysinstall to see
which one gets started in rc.  maybe inetd_wideopen_enabled or
something.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner