Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:32:54 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Takuya ASADA <syuu@dokukino.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4) (was: netmap: traffic distribution)
References:  <CALCpEUHcpoJoo_gqjyDzosE1bJ_J=o3uqUuyYJA8dWZdjMrNTA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmompkSY-tU2SysaEf6p1uJPmcMeXKJ6_EZ_DJiYTQXbUzw@mail.gmail.com> <CALG4x-XowXNze82jvFX84X0=d7MRucpJbUeExug9y7XsaZXkSw@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUHoVJgmYptMp6Q%2BY%2BDgbxgujN8e7TcANUi1De_fnkOZ_w@mail.gmail.com> <CALG4x-Xf27oEOA9K5j%2BRRndFe1VbDowpTti8a8qwu1mRaB4BkQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALG4x-WWqrf2Laen=zmUuiO1OCv1O2UHqV8NugnXN3BEkex%2B7g@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUGfksedObkvhuT9X%2Bn=%2BhCVGB6uLt0E8ZLRTkPxowE1wg@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM, hiren panchasara
<hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Takuya ASADA <syuu@dokukino.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is updated version of "ixgbetool" patch.
> I will try to give this a try tomorrow.

Alright, sorry for the delay. I now have bandwidth/setup to test this.

> Cheers,
> Hiren
>> Here's improved feature list:
>> - signature filter list feature available
>> - user-defined filter can be use with an ATR.

How does this work? You identify user-defined flows and apply ATR on
the rest of the flows?
>> To enable it, add "hw.ixgbe.cooperative_atr=1" on /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> Usage is as follows:
>> ixgbetool <ifname> [operation]
>>     add_sig_filter <proto> <src_ip> <src_port> <dst_ip> <dst_port>
>> <que_index>
>>     show_sig_filter
>>     del_sig_filter <id>

I believe, I can somehow test whether the signature filter works or
not by generating custom traffic, creating matching filter, directing
the traffic to a specific queue and watch that queue.

But how do I test/see ATR (application targeted receive) in action?
Traffic for a specific application should follow the application on
different cpus, right? Any guidance on how to do that would be great.

cheers,
Hiren

<skip>