Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:21:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The way forward

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Scott M. Nolde wrote:
> Not to start a flame war either, but I like both and use both ipfw and ipf
> together.

Is it better to eat apples or oranges?

Surely the question depends on a lot...  Is the target hungry?  Do they
like red/green/yellow or orange more?  What is the current phase of the
moon?

So, "ipfw or ipf?"

Surely this question also depends on a lot.  Read the man pages, and
decide for yourself!  I encourage this, because most people I know that
have used both walk away saying "there are reasons to use both" and not "I
love X and Y sucks."

If there was no reason for ipf, I doubt it would have been developed.  If
there was no reason for ipfw, I doubt it would be maintained and updated
(ipfw2).

I've also heard some untrue statements here, which once again points to
the need to read the man page.

Also, perhaps the authors of the code should refrain from comment so long
as it's simply "mine is better."  ;)