Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:42:00 GMT
From:      ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk (Steven Fletcher)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Read error" on bootup.......

Greetings............

I've just installed FreeBSD 3.0 on a machine with 2 Pro's and 256 MB
ram, on a SCSI disk. When attemping to boot, I simply receive the
following error:

Read error

That's it. If I put the 3.0 boot floppy into the drive, I can send the
boot options to be:

0:sd(0,a)kernel

And all is well, I can boot up with no problems. However, I'd like to
be able to boot off the harddisk (The partiton is active) without any
user intervention. Could anyone tell me why this is happening, and
possibly on how to fix it?

Thanks;

-Steven Fletcher (steven@shellnet.co.uk)