Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:40:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        zen@buddhist.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

> This is true of many branches of Buddhism, but is a bit of an
> oversimplification. First, the denial of a desire to evangelize is often seen
> as one of Zen Buddhism's many games of cognitive dissonance. In some ways,
> it plays on the ironic meme expressed by Groucho Marx and Woody Allen,
> among others: "I wouldn't want to be part of any club that wants me as
> a member."

Whatever you say, Brett.

> >I personally like the fact that no FreeBSD evangelists knock on my doors.
>
> This would make you a candidate for one particular mode of transmission
> of the FreeBSD memes. However, as I've mentioned earlier, the most
> successful memes have multiple vectors and modes of transmission.

Cute.

> This is true for you, but I don't think it is for everyone. In the
> computer world especially, the overwhelming majority of users want
> -- in fact, demand! -- operating systems which are VISIBLY attracting
> large user bases and portfolios of third party applications.

Then you obviously agree with Jordan: They should either go for Windows
or for FreeBSD, depending on their needs. At least until the Wine project
obsoletes the need for the former. :-)

Incidentally, Jordan has made a wise choice not to get involved in the war
raging between Windows and Linux. As a Slovak proverb says: "Where two
sides fight, the third one wins."

There is also an interesting story in Greek mythology. A hero whose name
escapes me (since I read the story almost 40 years ago) was to overcome a
whole group of fierce warriors. And all he had was a piece of rock.

Instead of throwing the rock at them, which would do him no good, he threw
it into their midst. They all wanted it. They started fighting and killing
each other over it, until there was only one left. But after having fought
all the others, the one left was so tired that the hero had no problem
overcoming him.

Maybe Jordan's way is not attracting hordes of users in the short run, but
he is making wise moves for the long run. If the trends continue, FreeBSD
will have the last laugh. People will knock on FreeBSD doors instead of the
other way round. At least, that is the way it seems to me.

Adam