Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:04:10 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why no /dev/one?

On 2003-01-30 16:13, Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:53:05AM +0000, Jan Grant typed:

>>>What I was trying to get at was more a question of if there's some deep
>>>technical reason for the lack of a /dev/one beyond the triviality of
>>>flipping the bits in a pipe.
>>
>> Nobody's implemented it. It'd be trivial; but why would you want it?

That's a good reason.  Nobody has written one, because nobody thought
there would be a good reason to have one.  Of course, patches that
implement something like that are always ok.  But then we'd have to
write kernel drivers for /dev/two, /dev/three and /dev/one-million-six
too and that's not a good idea :-(

> And while you're at it, what about /dev/yes and /dev/no to automate
> interactive scripts. Or, if you like the challenge, a /dev/fibonacci
> and a /dev/pi would be very welcome :)

Argh no! :P

This is even more easy with yes(1)

$ yes 'custom text' | head -3
custom text
custom text
custom text
$

/me hides in a corner to save himself from the evil tomatoes that are
probably heading his way by now :)