Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:52:30 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] Domain names that are just numbers -- what's this??

Folks,

This is the best forum I know to ask such a question (from the aspect
that it's most likely that folks here will know the answer)

What are these domain names that are just numbers? Let's take the
following SPAM I recently recieved as an example:

<BEGIN FSCKING SPAM EXCERPT>
For global removal from our list, click the folling link, thank you:
http://808517866170/merchantsource/Remove_Form.htm
<END FSCKING SPAM EXCERPT>

Obviously, I have no intention of falling for their stupid "click here
to be removed" bullshit, but I do intend to complain to their ISP.
However, a traceroute can't find the domain - ping and whois doen't
resolve it either.
So my questions are:
a) how do I track down the spammer's ISP and complain
b) How the heck does this work that my browser can find the site, but
other tools can't?

I was able to use Ethereal to sniff the HTTP connection, and it's
bulletproofwebhosting.net, but how did the DNS figure that out?

TIA,
Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?