Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 02:20:02 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        GEZA@fa.gau.hu (Lemle Geza  MG/III.)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quota

> We would like to introduce disk quotas on our server.
> We are currently using FreeBSD 2.0-950202-SNAP, for the delight of all the
> users.
> Unfortunately, we have not yet found description on quota.group and quota.user.
> I would appreciate very much, if some of you could help me what to write in
> these files exactly.

If i remember correctly you simply "touch quota.user" in root directory
of the partition. Then add the "userquota" or "groupquota" in your
/etc/fstab to the flags. And after a remount of the filesystem run
a "quotacheck -v -a" on it.
After that the quota.user or quota.group file has valid entries. And
now you can manipulate the entries with "edquota". Read all the manual
pages about these commands, how they are used exactly :-).

Example: my /usr2 file system contains quota, so my /etc/fstab entry
is:

/dev/sd1a               /usr2           ufs rw,userquota 1 3

and /usr2 has a /usr2/quota.user. To manipulate my own quota entry i
use a "edquota ats" and land in an editor and can manipulte my quota
as a super-user :-).

One Word of Warning: you should only enable one filesystem with
quotas on FreeBSD 2.0. Many people have reported problems with
two or three filesystems and quotas enabled.

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe