Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium 4 Dell and heat issues

On 2002-09-04, Tobias Roth scribbled:

# I just received my new Dell inspiron 4150 with a P4 1.6GHz cpu. When
# making buildworld (freshly updated stable), it coredumps with a signal
# 11 at different stages, usually after around 10 minutes, shortly after
# the fan kicks in.
#
# I know this is usually either a heat or a bad memory issue, but before
# I send it back, I would like to know if there are any known issues
# with P4 Dell notebooks, not particularly related to heat. Could it be
# that FBSD has problems with a P4 system? Or is this definitely a
# heat/memory issue. How do your P4 Dell notebooks behave?
#
# I will also reinstall win xp that came with the notebook and see if I
# can produce any errors there, I will check google for apps that
# generate cpu-load and display system temperature or any anomalies.

Many of the laptop manufacturers have been known to use the desktop
version of the Pentium 4 processor in their laptops (opposed to the
mobile version of the Pentium 4 processor). The desktop version does not
have some of the power saving (and probably temperature control)
features that the mobile version does... and it pumps out more heat than
the comparable mobile version of the processor.

The heat problem in some of the laptops that use the desktop Pentium 4
processor also causes more stability problems under Windows as well as
any other OS (like Linux). Some of the more problematic laptops are from
HP/Compaq and Toshiba... but I haven't heard or seen any reports of the
Dell laptops exhibiting the same problem.

One thing that I would try is to do a long load test under Windows XP
that pelts the processor and memory. I don't know of any ports that
would do the same thing as say 3DMark or other benchmarking software
under FreeBSD.

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org