Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:46:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wakkym@juno.com (Lee Cremeans)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal modem suckage (was: close() on a modem taking a long time?)

> [diverging from the topic at hand...redirected to -chat]
> >If the modem is internal, well, then you get what you deserve
> >(internal
> >modems suck).
>
> Well, to be honest, internal modems were (and I stress "were") fine for
> casual use in BSD up until recently. A lot of the internals these days
> are Plug-and-Play, or UART-less, or (fear and loathing time) BOTH. The
> USR WinModems are perfect examples of this; the things should burn in
> hell as far as I'm concerned... :P At least with some PnP modems, they
> have real UARTs on board, and you can at least USE them after you get the
> PnP  configured--not so with WInModems. If I get another modem, it'll
> most likely be an external, and not until 56K is standardised...Im
> currently running on a 1995-vintage Cardinal/Rockwell 28.8, one that
> actually has jumpers on it (FreeBSD loves it).

Internal modems generally float RS232 signals they shouldn't, since
they don't use RS232 connections, but pretend to be RS232 devices
hooked to an external port hooked to a UART.

This is usually a problem for CTS/RTS handling when DCD is low (ie:
there is no connection).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---