Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:50:19 -0700
From:      Lamont Lucas <lamont@cluepon.com>
To:        Erik =?iso-8859-1?Q?N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        Lamont Lucas <lamont@cluepon.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1 jumpstart issues

--0hHDr/TIsw4o3iPK

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 04:06:21PM +0200, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
> Lamont Lucas wrote:
> > Specifically, while using my old install.cfg, my new machines were not
> > being built with a kernel.
>
> *snip*
>
> If you do not have a "installCommit" at the end of your install.cfg the
> sysinstall should fall back on the normal interactive interface and you
> can verify that your settings have been applied.

I do indeed have an installCommit after the regular sysinstall
stuff (but before my package adds)  The issue is not that my
jumpstart fails to run, or run unattended.  The problem is that once
made, my jumpstarted machines have no kernel.  And adding an explicit
kernels dist to my list of dists to install did nothing that I could
tell.  There is probably something useful in the debug, but it
scrolls past so fast that I can't even see it.

For clarity, I'm attaching my install.cfg to see if anybody can figure
out why it's not installing a kernel.  To work around this, I think
I'm going to make a pkg of my kernel and install it along with the
rest of the packages.

> > (I originally used the freebsd.org handbook site on pxeboot, but it
> > was horribly out of date (4.x) and later had more luck with
> > http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot/article.html, which is
> > how I got my 5.5 machine working.  I see it has been updated for
> > 6.x but uses a non-custom dist install set, which isn't exactly
> > what I want)
>
> Rather, it is being updated - it seems to be a continual process :-) let
> me know of useful cheats and tricks.

Thank you for the excellent guide.  Your method of making a custom
memory disk for jumpstarting was really sweet and worked perfectly with
my older 5.4 install.  (I incorrectly called it 5.5 above)

You'll notice that "my" install.cfg is a blatant rip-off and cribbing
of the one from the handbook as well as your site.

--
 - Lamont
"I am not an atomic playboy."

--0hHDr/TIsw4o3iPK

# This is the installation configuration file for our FreeBSD SM6013p-8+
# machines
# it currently does the basic drive partitioning and installs common
# software.  No modifications are made to rc.conf.  20051013 -lal

# Turn on extra debugging.
debug=YES

# Ok, this ought to turn off ALL prompting, don't complain to me that you
# lost a machine because you netbooted it on  the same subnet as this
# box
nonInteractive=YES
noConfirm=YES
noWarn=NO
#tryDHCP=YES

################################
# My host specific data
hostname=newmachine
domainname=shockwave.com
nameserver=10.0.0.1
defaultrouter=10.0.0.1
ipaddr=10.0.0.99
netmask=255.255.255.0
################################

################################
# Which installation device to use
_ftpPath=ftp://10.0.0.1/
netDev=em0
ipaddr=10.0.0.99
netmask=255.255.255.0
defaultrouter=10.0.0.1
mediaSetFTP
################################

################################
# Select which distributions we want.
dists=base kernels manpages catpages proflibs dict
distSetCustom
################################

################################
# Now set the parameters for the partition editor on da0.
disk=da0
partition=all
bootManager=standard
diskPartitionEditor
#diskPartitionWrite
################################

################################
# All sizes are expressed in 512 byte blocks!
#
# A 4GB root partition, followed by a 4G swap partition, followed by
# a 4G /var, and a /usr using all the remaining space on the disk
#
da0s1-1=ufs 8388608 /
da0s1-2=swap 8388608 none
da0s1-3=ufs 8388608 /var
da0s1-4=ufs 0 /usr 1
# Let's do it!
diskLabelEditor
#diskLabelCommit

# OK, everything is set.  Do it!
installCommit

# now install the software that we expect to have added after the fact
#never mind, let's do that after the fact
#package=bash-2.05b.007_4
#packageAdd

package=libiconv-1.9.2_1
packageAdd

package=expat-1.95.8_3
packageAdd

package=gettext-0.14.5
packageAdd

package=gtar-1.15.1_1
packageAdd

package=lsof-4.76
packageAdd

package=rc_subr-1.31
packageAdd

package=rsync-2.6.6
packageAdd

package=sudo-1.6.8.9
packageAdd

package=openssl-0.9.8a
packageAdd

package=wget-1.10.1
packageAdd

package=ASWfping-2.4b2
packageAdd

package=CustomASW-1.0
packageAdd

# CFengine is no longer installed pre-reboot
#package=ASWcfengine-2.1.11
#packageAdd

#Now grab config (rc.conf) for this mac string and dump it in /etc
# Extra commands (installing other files, one time post-install scripts)
#command=/stand/GetConfig.sh
#system

# halt machine so that operator can move it to correct location
command=shutdown -p now
system

--0hHDr/TIsw4o3iPK--