Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 16:19:41 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:35:44PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:47:32AM -0400, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > 1) Have the cvs scripts add the latest commit date/time to a version.h
> >    everytime a commit occurs in a branch.  Display/use it accordingly.
>
> I suggested that a couple of years ago.  I thought "newvers.sh"
> should get updated by any CVS commit.
>
> It was met with something between indifference and hostility.  The
> most valid (IMHO) objection is that people were regularly building
> the kernel without building world (or vice versa), something that I
> believe happens less often now with the new build tools.  Then,
> unless you had a version.h for every kernel module and perhaps even
> every userland program, you still didn't know exactly what you had.

This wouldn't be a problem if, say, the make process automagically adds the
"version.o" (or call it whatever) object to any linked executable.
version.[ch?] would of course contain something like:
static const char* __foo_version __attribute__ ((unused)) "foo";
and be properly depended on to build whenever updated.  This shouldn't be
more than a trivial change in the global bsd .mk files.  My only concern
would be CVS repo bloat.  Perhaps a cvs meister would care to comment on
this issue?  I don't suppose there is a way to tell CVS to not worry about
deltas or logs, is there?

Were there any other objections to this before?  If this sounds like a good
idea, and if the cvs bloat won't be too much, I can start hacking this
together soon. (Though it is highly unlikely this will be in 4.4, so there
still needs to be a resolution as to what to do there)

> Although you'd still be ahead of todays "I'm running a system supped
> about dinnertime yesterday" kind of identifications.

"What timezone are you in, and when do you eat dinner?" :)