Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 22:45:20 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        FreeBSD-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sound hell

I'm starting to get at headache with all these conflicting non-working
sound-daemons/sound systems.

Gnome:

Systemsound not working. Killing off ESD.... still not working.

Realplayer refuses to play, whether I choose ESD as output or not. States
that something most be occupying /dev/dsp. Killing off ESD doesn't change
anyting.

Now for the strange part. Xmms, xine, everybuddy etc. all set to use ESD
as output works just fine, though using esd with xine seems to delay sound
"a bit".

KDE2:

Arts seems quite nice and looks like it's using OSS. But selecting OSS as
I/O (as opposed to Autodetect) I get no sound a startup. Just strange,
nothing serious. The rest of the system-sounds seems to work. As does
Realplayer and the rest.

I've got one minor issue though. Xmms sometimes refuses to play (selecting
OSS as output), stating that the device is blocked/occupied. Waiting a few
minutes and it plays nicely again. No other sound seems to have been "en
route", either from the system or any apps. Weird.

arts vs. esd.

Is there any ways to get these two to coexist? Ie. getting arts to "spoof"
af esd? I'm using a mix of kde- and gnomeapps and it's annoying not to be
able to get sound from both parts.

Bjarne