Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 01:13:25 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking problem since 2.2.6 with fxp0 - MORE DETAILS

>The file loads fine into PageMaker, and it's copyable to our other NT /
>Netware servers etc. - but just not to the FreeBSD box via the fxp0
>interface!
>
>The de0 interface will accept it via Samba or via FTP!
>
>Can anyone suggest anything??

   The only thing I can say at the moment is that a cross-over cable between
two fxp devices isn't a configuration that I test here. I did try to use them
that way when I originally wrote the fxp driver a few years ago, but I
couldn't get it to work reliably. When I asked the Intel NPD folks about this,
their reply was "cross-over cables aren't supported with the Pro/100B". Gack.
This was prior to when support for full duplex was added, and since then I've
heard reports that cross-over cables worked okay.
   What is strange about your problem report is that there was *very* little
change in the driver between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 - nothing that should affect
your machine, only support for properly detecting some newer cards. This leads
me to think that the problem isn't in the device driver. So, I really have
no idea...

-DG

David Greenman