Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:54:22 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading VCD's

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 22:07:36 +0200, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> > In any event luoqi's CDIOCREADCD looks like a reasonable interface and
> > with his patch Linux MTV can play VCD directly off the CD (not that I
> > use MTV, though).
>
> I understand this, that you use mtvp ;-)
> Or is there any alternative ?

xmms can play mpeg video streams.

> Whats a VCD anyway ? Think they are most popular in asia (?).

I'm not an expert, but from my searches of freebsd-multimedia I think
that there're two different formats Video CD and CD Video and the one
popular in asia is the latter.  Experts will coorect me.

> Why not mount it as CDs and play the video from it directly ?
> Another filesystem ?  Could I burn VCDs (if I had a burner) ?

Different block factor on different tracks.  I belive VCD could be
made into a filesystem (e.g. Widows present it as a filesystem), but I
belive FreeBSD can do it yet.

SY, Uwe