Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:14:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is Stable really stable?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> My dream "Stable" branch is one where I can just recompile sources and
> have the kernel install.. in the same way as long as there isn't a new
> version. I don't think "surprises"  are a good thing in a "stable"
> branch.

An addendum to my previous message: the above is an incorrect expectation
of what "FreeBSD-stable" is. I refer you to the handbook:

====
18.2.2.1. What is FreeBSD-STABLE?

FreeBSD-STABLE is our development branch for a more low-key and
conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release.
Changes of an experimental or untested nature do not go into this branch
(see FreeBSD-CURRENT).
====

Specifically, FreeBSD-STABLE is not guaranteed to always build or never
have upgrade hoops to jump through, although of course we do everything we
can to make sure that these are minimized - build problems are usually
fixed within minutes or hours, and are usually well-documented if you read
the appropriate resources. What FreeBSD-STABLE is, is a set of *features*
which have been tested and shown to be stable (i.e. not crash your
machine).

You are confusing the method with the end result.

Kris