Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:17:23 +0100
From:      "Jiri Holub" <holub@reckovice.brno.cz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.2 crashes during install

Hi all,

I just tried to install 4.2 release on my FreeBSD server (it's currently still
runnig 4.0)
as a fresh installation on the new harddisk. The problem is it always
freezes - usually
while unpacking ports (it always crashes during fist unpacking phase of
installation (bin, doc
... ports etc.)). Usually it just freezes but once it said something like:
Panic - reserved/trap
Buffer syncing 618 619 ... (or some numbers like that and then some message
that it failed)
Rebooting in 15 seconds
(I think it's not exactely that message but I don't remember it and I am not
able to reproduce
it though I tried many times)

The box has following configuration:
2x Celeron 500 MHz
Abit BP6
256 MB RAM
1 x 14 GB HDDs on ATA 33 (master -  I try to install system on)
4 x 14 GB HDDs on ATA 66
CD-ROM (master on second IDE controller - I'm installing from CD)
It is overclocked - but setting the normal nonoverclocked frequency has no
effect anyway :-(.

Release 4.0 is running without any problem.

Has anybody some idea?

Many thanks,

Jiri

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.215 / Virová báze: 101 - datum vydání: 16.11. 2000