Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 21:09:19 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   The unending conflict: modems and mice

I've run into what seems to be a perrenial problem for me on a PC: a mouse/modem conflict. I've dealt with this in DOS, then in Windows, and in WindowsNT (which I dumped in favor of FreeBSD).

Now it appears to have reared its ugly head in FreeBSD.

But this time I'm stumped as to where to turn. I'm new to Unix (at least sysAdmin stuff) and I'm not sure what to do.

Here are symptoms I've seen:

+ When I enter the tip command, and type "AT" the machine freezes. I have to reboot.

+ In another iteration, tip froze, but if I moved the mouse I got all sorts of frenetic, weird output on the screen. I also had to reboot.

The modem is a brand spanking new US Robotics jumperless Plug and Play 56K modem (motherboard /bios is also PnP -- does that matter?) so I don't know how to tell what port/irq it selected. How can I find that out from the OS?

The mouse IO/card is an old generic thing that's been with me for many moons. (It worked OK when NT was on this particular machine.) The mouse is self is a $5 computer show special.

I unplugged the mouse and rebooted, but got the same behavior with the freezing at the AT Specifically I entered:

$tip cuaa0b
connected
<freeeeze>

If I don't use the modem (don't enter a tip command) the mouse works fine. It shows up and a test in Xwindows says it's functional.

Thought about taking out the IO card, but I'm going to need it at some point. Besides, I figure I better learn how this works in FBSD if I'm going to get anything out of it. And, it should work, right?

Any help, pointers, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.