Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 18:20:45 -0500
From:      David Magda <dmagda+fmobile@magda.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Inspiron 7K and APM

Hello,

I'm trying to get Advanced Power Management (APM) to work on my Dell
Inspiron 7000. I am using FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, last cvsuped on 5-Dec-2002.

I have a "device apm" line in my kernel config file [1], but there is no
'apm' device listed on boot (or in dmesg [2]). It should be noted that
intpm(4) is detected, as well as smb(4) and smbus(4). Is this of any
significance?

When /etc/rc.d/apm starts up it complains that there is no /dev/apm
which would indicate that the apm module/code is not initializing.

However, there are reports that APM works fine with Linux (modulo some X
issues), so it is possible to get it to work. Is FreeBSD apm(4) doing
things differently than Linux's?

Are there any tweaks that I should be aware of to this working? Apart
from the APM (not being able to do 'shutdown -p'), FreeBSD works nicely.

[1] http://www.magda.ca/MYKERNEL1
[2] http://www.magda.ca/DMESG

P.S. The above links will disappear in a couple of weeks, so if you're
     reading the archives don't bother with them.
--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>