Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:01:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD networking question

Daniel M. Eischen stands accused of saying:
> Is it possible to configure a FreeBSD machine to be a gateway between
> a Workgroup for Windows subnet, an AppleTalk network, and another
> subnet of FreeBSD machines?  The FreeBSD subnet has access to the
> Internet.  How would such a machine be configured?

What are you talking on the Appletalk network?  Just Ethertalk, or a mix
with TCP/IP? (Or Localtalk, see below...)

> Diagram:
>
>           Appletalk network
>           +-----+     +-----+
>           |     |-----|     |--...-------------+
>           +-----+     +-----+                  |
>                                             +-----+
>                                     +-------|     |  FreeBSD gateway
>                                     |       +-----+
>           WfW network               |          |
>           +-----+     +-----+       |          |
>           |     |-----|     |--...--+          |
>           +-----+     +-----+                  |
>                    FreeBSD subnet              |
>                    +-----+     +-----+         |
>   Internet  <------|     |-----|     |----...--+
>                    +-----+     +-----+
>

> Currently, the Appletalk and WfW networks are not connected to anything.
> We'd like to connect those two networks together, and at the same time
> obtain access to the internet through the FreeBSD network which already
> has this capability.

Yup, can do.  You can put three ethernet cards in the FreeBSD machine
& configure it to route for all of them.

> Without getting into a long story, our resources are limited because it
> takes too long to obtain needed hardware/software.  What we do have is
> what you see above with two supported Ethernet cards in the FreeBSD gateway.
> There is also one Mac in the Appletalk network that has a copy of
> Mach Ten (TM) which is suppose to be BSD4.3, and an Ethernet controller.

Um.  Does this mean you're running a Localtalk network with the Macs,
or an ethernet?  If the former, and the MachTen system is up all the
time, put it on the same ethernet as the FreeBSD machines and use it
to route for them.  See below wrt. proxies.

> We have legal IP addresses for the FreeBSD subnet, but may have to use
> some of those reserved IP addresses for internal use on the WfW and the
> Appletalk network.

In that case you'll need to make sure the clients you intend to use will
work with proxy servers.  You can build socks on the FreeBSD machine
without any difficulty, and a proxy web server comes with the FreeBSD
distribution (CERN), which should cover most of your needs.

> Dan Eischen

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[