Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:29:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Bob Cazzell <bcazzell@rezn8.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS name server entry?

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Bob Cazzell wrote:

> When you're setting up a system to be a primary DNS, what do you put in the
> DNS entry of it's network config, itself or it's parent/root DNS?
>
> I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me or point me to the
> relevant docs.

localhost?

However, this obviously won't work to resolve addresses during the
installation process, so if you're at that stage slap another NS's IP
address in (obviously, make sure that (a) it responds to your queries
and (b) you're permitted to use it). Then edit /etc/resolv.conf when
everything is in place.

There's nothing that says your resolver library needs to be configured
to use your locally-running nameserver; it just seems the natural thing
to do.

jan

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Spreadsheet through network. Oh yeah.