Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:34:26 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Draft of Nader letter

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> After reading a great discussion I would like to thank you all for lively
> discussion. It is good to be back.

It's good to have you back!

> You can write a letter to Mr. Nader and Mr. Love saying thanks for
> mentioning the alternatives, including FreeBSD. You can tell them that
> FreeBSD is really behind them. It is not necessary to tell them of any
> shortcomings.

Well said.  I chose not to follow this advice, but this is certainly
true.  ;^)

> You can then tell them you are in the FreeBSD camp. And tell them to keep
> up the good work. We can tell them we feel that the computer industry
> could user some consumer advocacy (nader's specialty). This way we can
> advocate FreeBSD.

Did that.  See letter to follow.

> Hey, it's not necessary to complain to anyone to let them know we exist.
> Notice that the above discussion doesn't point out any errors that Mr.
> Nader or Mr. Love may have. It _does_ let them know that FreeBSD is out
> their and that we are interested in advancing the alternative OSes.

Yup.  Each of the Advocates should certainly do this, in their own way.
Be polite.  Be firm.  Let them know we appreciate their work on OUR
behalf, and that FreeBSD is here to stay.  It's not just here, it's
BETTER!

> I am getting a bit philosophic now. It is not always necessary to speak
> directly of an issue for your position on that issue to be communicated.

'Sallright.  I'll follow this reply with a CC of my letter to Mr. Love.
I found his letter to be well written and well reasoned, but believe I
may have found a few points on which to strengthen it, and offer them
freely.  ;^)