Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 01:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
Cc:        Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Jamie Lawrence wrote:

> At 03:01 PM 9/10/98 -0500, Aleph One wrote:
>
> >How about something more practical? Like being able to turn off this
> >"feature".
>
> "rm /bin/cat"

Cat has little to do with the issue under discussion, despite the
subject line.  Escape sequences can come from talk requests, naive
write(1)-like programs or naive network clients (I have seen the first
two, and the third is likely).

Unless I missed it, nobody has defended the xterm feature in question on
any basis except that that's how it's always been done.  I also didn't
notice any reports of recent exploits.

I'd like to hear a wider variety of opinions on the matter -- in
particular, I wonder if anyone still uses the feature for anything, and
if it's been exploited.  I don't understand why you're so dismissive
about it.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."