Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:18:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum mirror and strategies for root partition backup

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Gerd Knops wrote:

> Is this strategy sound:
>
> - Install 3.2 with the usual slices on the first disk
> - Put identical slices on the second disk
> - Make /usr a vimnum drive, mirrored onto the second drive
> - Make /var a link to /usr/var
> - Use dump/restore to duplicate the / partition to the second drive (and do
> so each time something is modified on /)

I do something very similar to that. /var is its own vinum volume (higher
inode density becuase it has the mail spool).

I use tar to copy one / partition to the other, but I probably should
switch to something else becuase that can't handle some /dev entries
properly.

> Now:
> - If the second disk fails, the system should just continue to work.
> - If the first disk fails, it can be replaced with the second disk and the
> system will work again.
>
> Is this strategy sound?

That's how I hope it would happen :)

> Does vinum store 'absolute' drive info on it's drives, meaning would it get
> confused in the second case above where the first disk is replaced by the
> second disk?

IIRC, vinum stores the vinum drive name in the 130k vinum configuration
section on each vinum drive, and then when vinum is started it scans
through all your devices looking for the different vinum drive names. This
is done to prevent vinum getting confused when device names for its drives
get changed.

(I think that's what I read over at http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html, but I
don't have time to double-check at the moment. In any case, you may want
to read all of the vinum info over there, as it's very useful, even to
someone who's already had vinum running for a while)

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )