Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 11:31:03 -0800
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@42is.com>
To:        Webmaster <webmaster@webfreaks.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Webserver benchmarks? Ultra 2 vs. FreeBSD

At 08:49 AM 3/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am running a Sun Ultra2 with Netscape Enterprise server 3.5.1, also have
>P166 running 2.2.5-R and Apache 1.2.4.  Both are on 100/Ethernet.
>
>Is there a good reason why the P166 would bench at about 60 requests/second
>and the Ultra2 only about 15 requests/second?  These tests were run using 3
>NT workstations as "web" clients.

There are plenty of reasons why this could happen. You provide absolutely
no information that could help one analyze why. How much RAM? What does
iostat output look like? vmstat? How much time is your system spending in
I/O wait? Have you looked at Netscape's performance tuning documents? Anything
anomalous in netstat -s?

In any case, this is a question for a list like sun-managers@ra.mcs.anl.gov,
not Free-BSD Questions.

We have several Ultra 2s in different configurations running Netscape
Enterprise 2.0.1, and see better performance (by either one or two
orders of magnitude, depending on what you're calling a "request").

>My employer insists that this is wrong.  I used Web Bench 1.1 from ZDNet.

People paying for expensive hardware usually don't like to see results like
that, no. I can certainly believe those results, though, for a misconfigured
box.

-j