Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 23:03:37 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        MP <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too many open files problem

MP wrote:

[snip]
> So the best way I was told to
> deal with this was to bind any unused IPs to my lo0 and keep them from
> doing this - it's probably more efficient than running a firewall, and I
> can't control this idiot ISP or their users.

Hmmm... A firewall would have been easier! - And it won't waste addresses
(nor have things like named from binding to all the IP's that are registered
on your system ;-)

> By the way, this was a particularly vile spammer - he would seek out
> un-bound IPs, bind to them, send out tons of spam, then quickly disconnect.

Nice :-)

>  We had a helluva time trying to identify the perpetrator - I've never seen
> this technique used before.  My admin said that there's a bug in his Ascend
> router he's been trying to get Ascend to address with not much luck
> (involving IP logging under certain circumstances).

Hmmm, surely he would need a password / username before the Ascend would
allow him to send traffic?

> HOWEVER, I'm very interested in doing some kernel tweaking - and my first
> attempts seemed to be painless - tweaking users and OPEN_MAX - even though
> I can't find much documentation to explicitly describe the effects of these
> parms.  Since I have your attention, let me explain why I might want to do
> this.
>
> The new server I'm configuring will take over the old server's duties which
> was a very heavy web load (anywhere from 750k-2 million+ hits/day) - every
> once in awhile, during peak loads, it would crap out - probably due to
> limited resources.

Sounds as if that might be the case if your running things like the 'stock'
generic kernel etc.

> I increased users from 10 to 32 and still couldn't get named to load - I
> tried different combinations of OPEN_MAX and other parms, and while I could

Try setting users at 256, but I would strongly recomend you use the firewall
to fix this problem - or at least try to get the other guys from stopping it
in the first place (see my earlier comments)...

Regards,

Karl