Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:49:47 -0400
From:      bill slaybaugh <slay3241@bright.net>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   newbie kernel question-

I am a recent entry to the FreeBSD realm, having used several
versions and distributions of Linux.
Using 3.2, I just built my first custom kernel.  Nothing fancy;
pretty much just turning off devices and options that weren't
needed.  I was pretty surprised when the size of the new kernel
came back as 5980783, when the generic kernel had been 2329748.
It does load faster, what with skipping unnecessary probing.
Why so much larger than the generic?
This is probably a classic newbie misunderstanding - -
and I'm in new territory.
Thanks in advance.