Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:24:24 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   swap: 43MB used?

Swap: 64M Total, 41M Used, 23M Free, 64% Inuse

I run -current on my laptop and use the save to disk feature
of the laptop rather extensively.  It seems my swap gets consumed
and not released.

Primarily I run

5 rxvt sessions
5 zsh sessions (modern type with shared libs and loadable modules)
1 netscape 4.04 with 3 navigator windows
1 applixware spreadsheet app.
1 afterstep 1.4.4 with 9 windows (1024x768 each)

Generally I start with 11M of swap used and as time goes along it is
all used.  Closing netscape and the applixware app gets me back to
only 41M used.

Who is holding on to the 41M?

I have 48MBs of RAM.

Thanks,