Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:55:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   md_image compression?

I'm sort of thinking in my head about adding the ability for the
md driver to handle gziped images. md's drvinit() looks like
the perfect place to do this. if strcmp(type,"md_image_gzip") then
gunzip the image and so on.

Obviously this trades RAM for disk space. The target implementation
is the i-opener -> X terminal transmogrification. I think I can cram
the whole thing into the 16M flash card, and with compression of that
image, I can cram a lot more. To implement it, I have some questions:

1. Is there a way to de-allocate or otherwise reuse the original
compressed image after the unzip is finished?

2. What is the best strategy for allocating the output image?
malloc(9)?

3. This would effectively add libz to the kernel. Does anyone
object, given the proviso that this whole mess would hide inside
of an option (MD_PRELOAD_GZIP springs to mind)? Perhaps instead
the md unzipper could be loaded as a module. The module could
be thrown away using the same mechanism as #1 once the
decompression is finished.