Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 19:42:51 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "stellayu@ca.inter.net" <stellayu@ca.inter.net>, "Stephen Hovey" <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: simple back up method

On Wed, 16 May 2001 17:53:03 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Hovey wrote:

>I would forget tar and cpio (I had restoration
>problems when using tape) - the thing Ive found
>the most reliable that comes with freebsd is pax
>email if you want a sample backup and restore line.

Could I also get some samples too?

While researching about pax found the URl below
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pax+backup&start=30&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=34&ic=1&selm=90994t%24kl3%241%40kemoauc.mips.inka.de

it seems that, at least at some point, tar,cpio and pax
were not much different.I wonder how it has changed over time.

Looking at the source tree for pax and cpio it is interesting
how both have a number of files with the same name:
cpio.h, cpio.c, tar.h, tar.c, etc..