Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:39:13 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error: "This ports uses old layout"

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 02:44:19PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <charon@urania.westgate.gr> wrote:
>
> > Then, I cvsup'ed my ports tree with the following supfile (as intructed
> > by /usr/src/UPDATING):
>
> Looks fine.
>
> > But when I try to install /usr/ports/net/netcat I get:
> >
> >     urania# make
> >     Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this
> > bsd.port.mk.
>
> Show us an "ls -R" of /usr/ports/net/netcat.

I tried CVSup'ing my /home/ncvs mirror of FreeBSD's sources.  Then, I
removed my /usr/ports directory and did a:

    # cd /usr
    # cvs checkout -R -d /home/ncvs checkout ports

to get myself a checkout of the most recent ports/ tree.  I still get
the same error, and /usr/ports/net/netcat contains:

    # cd /usr/ports/net/netcat ; ls -R
    /usr/ports/net/netcat
    CVS/		distinfo	patches/	pkg-comment	pkg-plist
    Makefile	files/		pkg/		pkg-descr

    ./CVS:
    Entries		Repository	Root

    ./files:
    CVS/		patch-ab

    ./files/CVS:
    Entries		Repository	Root

    ./patches:
    CVS/

    ./patches/CVS:
    Entries		Repository	Root

    ./pkg:
    CVS/

    ./pkg/CVS:
    Entries		Repository	Root

> > Anybody know why this happens, or at least what I should do next?
>
> You may have some garbage lying around in your ports tree.

That's what I tried to avoid when I removed (rm -fr) my old /usr/ports
before the last checkout of ports/, but it didn't seem to change
anything.  It seems my /home/ncvs is in a funny state, though, because
other ports have more strange problems.  For instance, when I do:

    # cd /usr/ports/net/ircII
    # make
    make: no target to make.
    # ls Makefile
    ls: Makefile: no such file or directory

I think I need to check what my supfile has brought to my /home/ncvs
lately.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >