Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 01:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/42941: mozilla does not install all necessary libraries

The following reply was made to PR ports/42941; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To: Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:34:23 +0930

 On Thursday, 19 September 2002 at  9:57:45 +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:29:20AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
 >>> Fix:
 >>
 >> 	The problem here seems to be that the Java library needs to be
 >> 	downloaded manually, due to the strange license requirements.
 >> 	I'd suggest:
 >>
 >> 	1.  Only create the symlink if the target file
 >>             /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
 >>             actually exists.
 >> 	2.  If it doesn't exist, print instructions for how to install
 >>             it, and what the consequences will be if you don't.
 >
 > Why is this a problem?

 Because it takes a lot of time for anybody not intimately involved
 with the installation to find out what is going on.  For
 non-developers, it would probably mean that they would give up on it.

 > Mozilla works fine, and it means that Java plugins just start
 > working if and when you install the JDK.  If the symlink is
 > conditioned then you have to manually install it if you install the
 > JDK after mozilla...
 >
 > The port/package should probably have a message though that tells you
 > need to install the JDK if you want Java support.

 Well, yes, that's what I said.  Agreed, it might make sense to do the
 symlink in either case, and explain in the message what is going to
 happen.

 Greg