Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:07:02 -0500
From:      Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel 4-port ethernet adaptor link aggregation issue

We have an iXsystems 1U server (E5) with an Intel 4-port ethernet NIC =
installed, model I350-T4 (manufactured May of 2013). We're trying to =
bind the 4 ports on this NIC together into a single lagg port, connected =
LACP to a distribution switch (Cisco 4900-series). We are able to =
successfully bind the 2 on-board ethernet ports to a single lagg, =
however the NIC is not so cooperative. At first we thought we had a bad =
NIC, but a replacement has not fixed the issue. We are thinking there =
may be a driver limitation with these Intel ethernet NICs when =
attempting to bind more than 2 ports to a lagg.=20

FreeBSD version:
FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0 r244125: Wed Dec 12 11:47:47 CST 2012

rc.conf:
# LINK AGGREGATION
ifconfig_igb2=3D"UP"
ifconfig_igb3=3D"UP"
ifconfig_igb4=3D"UP"
ifconfig_igb5=3D"UP"
cloned_interfaces=3D"lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0=3D"laggproto lacp laggport igb2 laggport igb3 laggport =
igb4 laggport igb5"
ifconfig_lagg0=3D"inet 192.168.1.14  netmask 255.255.255.0"

We've confirmed that the lagg module is loaded (clearly, as the pair of =
on-board ethernet ports can be bound successfully). Binding various =
combinations of ports on the NIC yields odd results, as sometimes the =
first one in the list does not negotiate properly, sometimes the last =
one in the list fails negotiation. Adding interfaces to lagg =
individually versus all at the same time does not seem to make any =
difference. At one point we even tried to assign unique and separate IP =
addresses to the ethernet ports individually, and only a couple of the =
ports would actually come active and respond to any sort of network =
activity. Due to this issue with the number of "usable" ports even =
beyond the link aggregation failure, this is sort of what leads us to =
believe there may be an issue with the drivers for this card.

We've searched the 'net/lists fairly extensively, and have seen very few =
instances where people have tried to bind more than 2 ports to a lagg =
with FreeBSD. Again, 2 ports is no problem, so long as we use the =
on-board ports; it's the introduction of the Intel NIC and 2 more ports =
that has us stuck.=20

Has anybody had any success with such a setup?=20

Joe