Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:31:08 +0200
From:      Stelios Gasparis <gasparis@csd.uoc.gr>
To:        "Sergey A. Osokin" <osa@freebsd.org.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ESS Technology Allegro-1

Sergey A. Osokin wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with ESS Technology Allegro-1 on HP
> Omnibook 6100 (FreeBSD-4.7-RELEASE)
>
>>From /boot/loader.conf
> snd_maestro3_load="YES"
>
> dmesg says:
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2
> pcm0: unable tp allocate register device
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> In my kernel config file i haven't pcm or other sound-device
> description. kldstat says that snd_pcm.ko successfully load
> at boot time.
>
> Any idea?

Yes ... i had some problems with my xe3 notebook (4.7-STABLE). Well,
have you tried to unload and then load again the module? When i tried
that (i had just install 4.7-RELEASE), it worked. Back then i thought
that maestro module needs to be located before ntfs and other modules in
memory, but right now it works fine at any place:

$ dmesg|grep Preloaded
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc033a000.
Preloaded elf module "ntfs.ko" at 0xc033a09c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_maestro3.ko" at 0xc033a138.
Preloaded elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc033a1dc.
Preloaded elf module "agp.ko" at 0xc033a27c.
$ dmesg|grep pcm
pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0x2000-0x20ff irq 5 at device 3.0
on pci2

In my kernel config file i haven't pcm or other sound-devices either.

I know that this is weird, but it worked ... weird for me that every
time i boot, sound is enabled only at the right speaker. I have to
manually set the pcm volume to any value (using the 'mixer pcm 75'
command for example) in order to have stereo sound ... Any ideas?

hope this helps, if you want any additional info, let me know.

Stelios

PS: i accidentaly answer only to the sender previously, so i re-post ...