Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 02:03:52 -0800
From:      brian@litzinger.com
To:        "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cpp: Invalid option `-L/usr/local/lib'

On %M 0, "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com> wrote:
> This error message comes up in a number of contexts.
>
> cpp: Invalid option `-L/usr/local/lib'
>
> Including failure to compile the kernel, and when I bring up X.
>
> What does it mean?

cpp is the C compiler preprocessor.  Much of C programs are made up of
macros which are expanded to real C code by cpp.  gcc silently
runs cpp to do the macro expansion for it.  (you can watch gcc
invoke cpp by including the option '-v' when running gcc.)
cpp does not care about linker related issues such as 'where to
look for libs', so they should not be being passed to it.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>