Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 15:35:14 -0600
From:      "Thomas Russo" <tvrusso@sandia.gov>
To:        "James Lim" <evilfry@sg.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP installing STAROFFICE

[on the subject of StarOffice not finding sofficerc and bogus
"solutions" to the problem]

James Lim wrote:
>                 I had a previous problem before.
> Seems that sofficerc is located within the /compat
> dir, and what staroffice is looking for would be
> in /home/$user instead. I just linked it to the
> home dir, that solved it. Any one using similiar
> solutions?

This solution had been suggested to me before, but when I tried linking
the home directory partition under /compat it did nothing.
In my case the *only* thing that had any effect was the linking that
allowed StarOffice to find applicat.rdb in whatever random perversion of
/usr/local/office52/program/ it chose to look.
Nothing I did to help it find sofficerc made a difference, but in the
three machines I did this on, making symlinks to help it find
applicat.rdb made it stop complaining about not being able to find
sofficerc.

Someday maybe someone will figure out how to make the thing work right
out of the box for everyone (I guess it must work for some folks, but
there sure are a lot of people who have this "sofficerc not found"
nonsense).  Until then, it seems like voodoo.

--
Thomas Russo      *  tvrusso@sandia.gov          *
Dept 1734, Component Information and Models      *