Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:06:42 -0400
From:      "Robert Withrow" <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, "Robert Withrow" <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux compatibility and /dev/null

tlambert2@mindspring.com said:
:- Why not just remove it?

I re-installed linux_base and that *did* remove it.  And, as Terry
suggests, acroread works fine without it.  In fact there is no
/compat/linux/dev directory at all after the reinstall.

I don't have a clue how that file got created in the first place, except
to guess that it is a side effect of installing some port.

Also, Kris points out that the Makefile for the linux_base port has
this in the do-install section

# Make sure we have a /dev/null in the chrooted environment.
	@${MKDIR} ${LINUXBASE}/dev
	@${RM} -f ${LINUXBASE}/dev/null
	@mknod ${LINUXBASE}/dev/null c 2 2
	@${CHMOD} 666 ${LINUXBASE}/dev/null

But, as I said above, there is no /compat/linux/dev after the install,
so you can color me confused.

--
Robert Withrow, BWithrow@NortelNetworks.com, +1 978 288 8256, ESN 248