Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Keith Bostic <bostic@bsdi.com>, current@freebsd.org, jhs@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Good point!  Actually, one idea I've been toying around with lately as
probably the only hope to get UNIX to compete with NT on the low-end
server (where the administrators usually aren't too UNIX knowledgable)
would be a modular installation/admin/tutorial/monitoring type tool, that
would be somewhat like training wheels:  You would have tutorials (or
dare I say "wizards" :-) to help you out when you are still learning (you
ask it, "How do I create a new account?" or whatever), but on the other
end, even expert users might want to use an "AdminTool" type module if it
provided visual status information and was reasonably flexible (perhaps
even scriptable).

Here would be the key features you'd want:

1) Completely HTML-based interface.  This would connect to a CGI or daemon
on the back-end to query the current system status.  If you've used
"SATAN" you know what I mean.  This would support both Lynx and
Netscape.  Obviously there are security issues that need to be dealt
with, but this approach is MUCH more attractive than Motif, TCL/Tk, etc.,
and seamless extends to remote administration.

2) Should be comprehensive, everything from adding users, setting up the
network (including Web server, NFS, etc), tape backups, printing services,
installing/removing packages, and monitoring disk usage and system status
(e.g. top or vmstat).  Sun has a *really* cool demo of a Java-based
product called "Solstice Workshop" at
http://www.sun.com/solstice/products/workshop.html.  I'm especially fond
of the Java-based "vital signs" portion.  THIS is what it should look like!

3) FreeBSD installation itself should be something like Solaris for the
CD-ROM version (first get you into XFree86, then start a Netscape-based
HTML install, or maybe TCL/Tk), otherwise it'd fall back into something
similar to sysinstall.  Either way, it should strive to be as friendly as
possible and lead seamlessly into the post-install "AdminWizard" to
prevent any "Okay it's installed.  Now what?" factor.

Of course this is all just proof-of-concept, I don't have time to
implement anything like this right now, but it is certainly the
direction you would want to take if you're concerned with making UNIX
easier for new admins.

---Jake