Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   C1-XS sound and USB issues (was Re: Vaio PCG-XG9 Problem)

I've got a C1-XS, and while I see Steve fixed his problems by hardwiring
pcic0 to IRQ 11, I've got some other issues which I suspect are related:

a) sound mostly works, except that a few result in the choppy sound
similar to what Steve mentions.  The best example of this are the real
audio CD samples at amazon.com.  I suspect they're in 22.05k samples/sec
instead of 44.1, but that the hardware is only in 44.1K mode and thus
plays the sample for half a second, silence a helf-second.  Adjusting
the audio-hardware-related parameters within the realplayer appeared to
have no effect.  This is a program running under Linux emul, but it
works well with most realmedia I throw at it, and there are a couple other
tools which play choppy at times as well.

b) USB issues.  The first is that USB detach appears to freeze the box,
fairly reliably, without leaving a message in /var/log/messages or on the
console as to why.  I've got a USB/Ethernet adapter which can trigger
this.  Here's the relevant data.  On bootup:

 /kernel: usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
 /kernel: usb0: USB revision 1.0
 /kernel: uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
 /kernel: uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered

Attaching the USB ethernet adapter:

 /kernel: aue0: USB USB 10/100 FastEthernet, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
 /kernel: aue0: Ethernet address: 00:00:b4:c5:42:2f
 /kernel: miibus0: <MII bus> on aue0
 /kernel: acphy0: <AC101 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
 /kernel: acphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Detaching the USB ethernet adapter:

 /kernel: aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
 last message repeated 9 times
 /kernel: aue0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
 /kernel: acphy0: detached
 /kernel: miibus0: detached
 /kernel: aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
 /kernel: aue0: detached

No problem so far.  So I reattach, it works; I use it for an hour, I
detach, *poof*.  No kernel core dump, keyboard/mouse response, no messages
anywhere, a hard reboot needed.  This isn't an IRQ issue, is it?  Any
ideas on how to debug further?

c) The second USB issue.  I'd like to attach a large IDE drive as a umass
device, format it, mount it, store files on it.  When I attach it I guess
it sees the controller:

 /kernel: umass0: Addonics Technologies Inc. USA USB storage cable type II, rev 1.00/1.0a, addr 2
 /kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)

but nothing else is recorded in the messages log or to console, and da0
(which I'm led to believe by the man page for umass would get created)
doesn't. Even after a "camcontrol rescan 0", da0 doesn't appear (the other
disk on this box is an internal ide, /dev/ad0).  "disklabel -w -r da0
mirror" returns "/dev/da0c: device not configured".  When I put this box
on a windows PC and plug it into USB, it's able to recognize the disk,
though, and lets me format it.  Any ideas?  Is there better-supported
hardware for making a large IDE disk a umass device?

Thanks - if I should put these three into the bug database instead, let me
know.

	Brian