Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:05:57 +1100
From:      richo <richo@psych0tik.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg + FreeBSD 9.0BETA3 on iMac 5,1

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

Hi list

I've just installed FreeBSD 9.0BETA3 on my G5 iMac (I'm about 90% sure it's=
5,1, it's the 1.8 ghz one without iSight)

Everything is working great except I can't get Xorg to run up. I know that X
does work on this hardware as I've had it going with linux, openBSD and ( I
think ) an older freeBSD release at some point.

X -configure and relevant parts of pciconf -lv follow:
domino# X -configure                                                       =
                        =20

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT powerpc=20
Current Operating System: FreeBSD domino.psych0tik.net 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD=
 10.0-CURRENT #1: Mon Oct 17 09:18:22 EST 2011     richo@domino.psych0tik.n=
et:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DOMINO powerpc
Build Date: 17 October 2011  10:58:04PM
  =20
Current version of pixman: 0.22.2
          Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (=3D=3D) default setting,
          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Oct 17 23:58:02 2011
Missing output drivers.  Configuration failed.
domino# pciconf -lv
vgapci0@pci0:0:16:0:    class=3D0x030000 card=3D0x001010de chip=3D0x032910d=
e rev=3D0xa1 hdr=3D0x00
      vendor     =3D 'nVidia Corporation'
      device     =3D 'NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200]'
      class      =3D display
      subclass   =3D VGA
hostb0@pci0:0:11:0:     class=3D0x060000 card=3D0x00000000 chip=3D0x0058106=
b rev=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x00
      vendor     =3D 'Apple Computer Inc.'
      device     =3D 'U3L AGP Bridge'
      class      =3D bridge
      subclass   =3D HOST-PCI
pcib2@pci1:0:1:0:       class=3D0x060400 card=3D0x00000000 chip=3D0x0053106=
b rev=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x01
      vendor     =3D 'Apple Computer Inc.'
      device     =3D 'Shasta PCI Bridge'
      class      =3D bridge
      subclass   =3D PCI-PCI

The issue as partially diagnosed in ##freebsd appears to be that the
extensions/drivers are being installed as .la and .a not .so as Xorg seems =
expect (this is speculative, but seems to be confirmed by the xorg-server
plist)

but at this stage I'm very open to suggestion.

thanks

richo

--=20
richo || Today's excuse:=20

Someone hooked the twisted pair wires into the answering machine.

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--