Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:20:42 -0400
From:      Mark Handley <mjh@east.isi.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video corruption with FPS and vic/brooktree

>I will investigate your suggestion right now . From the top of my head
>ignoring some of the bits that you mention can cause problems in
>NTSC land typically we run into problems with NTSC interlace when
>some of the error bits are ignored. Can't elaborate much more
>because I am at work.

Some experimentation reveals that if I make the following change, the
image corruption I've been seeing grabbing 320x240 goes away:

	if ( !(bktr_status & BT848_INT_RISC_EN) ||
	     ((bktr_status &(/*BT848_INT_FBUS   | XXX*/
			      BT848_INT_FTRGT  |
			     /*BT848_INT_FDSR   | XXX*/
			      BT848_INT_PPERR  |
			      BT848_INT_RIPERR |
			      BT848_INT_PABORT |
			      BT848_INT_OCERR  |
			      BT848_INT_SCERR) ) != 0) ||
	     ((bt848->tdec == 0) && (bktr_status & TDEC_BITS)) ) {

Now I'm not advocating this as a fix (it doesn't do good things when
grabbing 640x480), but I'm hoping it's enough of a clue that someone
with BT848 documentation can figure out what's going on.

Also, if I don't make the change above, but instead limit bt848->tdec
so that it doesn't exceed 20 (ie 10 fps on an NTSC system grabbing
even fields), then the problem also goes away.  Any higher than 20 and
I see the problem.

Hope these clues trigger some ideas!

Cheers,
	Mark