Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 06:52:17 -0900 (AKST)
From:      pstern <pstern@ptialaska.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.2 problems

Okay low level format the hard drive. Fresh install from 4.2 cdrom.
This time I did not run the XF86Setup routine out of sysinstall.

Logged in as root. Ran XF86Setup. The time the mouse actually configured
correctly and I finished the configuration with no errors, ran vidtune
accepted defaults, had it make the link for startx.

As root tried to execute startx

execv failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (errno 2)
_X11TranSsocketUnixConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
This is repeated 6 times
giving up
xinit No such file or process errno2 unable to connect to X server
xinit No such process (errno3) Server error

X is linked to the svga server in /usr/X11R6/bin/
Xwrapper is installed

I tried running xc86config, same result

I'm baffled.

This is the 4th failure now all on fresh installs.

My complaint has more to do with mistakes like leaving out the
system.fvwmrc files in FreeBSD 4.1 and not configuring kpanel and kfm to
start up by default in KDE. The entire X situation just needs some more
attention paid to preconfiguring various window managers. I can't believe
how plain fvwm2 is as shipped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

peter