Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:09:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sshd weirdness

> > I reboot the machine to use the new kernel, and 1. sshd is NOT running,
> > because in rc.conf, sshd_enable is set to OFF for some reason, and 2. when i
> > try to ssh in from a location on the same subnet, I am told the fingerprint
> > has changed.
>
> sshd_enable is set to OFF because you removed the package, I would assume...

I think it was set off because he didn't use internal openssh before. It's
probably just the default setting.  Has nothing to do with the port. Port
uses the script in balh/etc/rc.d

> > removed, which is expected.
>
> No, this is the bit that's wrong.  This is the startup script for OpenSSH,
> and should not have been removed.

no, from /usr/ports/security/ssh2/Makefile:

  @if [ "`grep ssh /etc/inetd.conf|grep -v ^#ssh`" = "" ]; then \
            if [ ! -f ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh ]; then \
                ${ECHO} "Installing ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh startup
file."; \
                ${SED} -e 's+!!PREFIX!!+${PREFIX}+' < ${FILESDIR}/sshd.sh
\
                        > ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh; \
                ${CHMOD} 751 ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh; \
            fi; \
        fi