Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:54:28 GMT
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can anyone help a newbie with vinum?

Hi All,

Can anyone please help this newbie with setting up a RAID1 mirror,
using vinum, on freebsd-stable?

I've done this sort of thing before on Linux and OpenBSD (RaidFrame)
but the vinum documentation is confusing me somewhat.

I'm assuming that I can't create a root-raid configuration, so I'd
be happy with this setup:

  /dev/ad0s1a  /root  256M      /dev/ad2s1a  /altroot  256M
  /dev/ad0s1b  swap   256M      /dev/ad2s1b  swap      256M
  ???          /home    3G      ???          /home       3G
  ???          /tmp     1G      ???          /tmp        1G
  ???          /usr     2G      ???          /usr        2G
  ???          /var     3G      ???          /var        3G

The two drives are 10G IDE and I'll scale the mirrored parts to fit
the available capacity. These figures are illustrative only.

My questions are:

1) What is the vinum filesystem type number (for partitioning)?

2) Do I create a single vinum partition to hold all the mirrored
   components, or do I create separate ones for each?

3) I can install a minimal system into / and then configure the
   vinum stuff afterwards. How do I best configure this?

Any, and all, help will be greatfully received.

Regards,
Neil Darlow.

--
1024D/531F9048 1999-09-11 Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
Key fingerprint =3D 359D B8FF 6273 6C32 BEAA  43F9 E579 E24A 531F 9048