Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:26:12 -0600
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
To:        Jordan Michaels <jordan@viviotech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.10 and finding dependant packages

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:59:24 -0800, Jordan Michaels
<jordan@viviotech.net> wrote:
> So, my questions is simple: What do I need to do to figure out what
> packages require apache to be installed? I've worked with SuSE's YAST
> tool and RPM's (and tools that manage RPM's... like YAST), but what's
> the BSD way to go about this?

You can manage software quite well with the ports collection.

This is a good place to get an idea of how packages and ports differ,
and how to use them.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Then you can use portupgrade to keep your installed ports and
dependencies up-to-date.  It'll save you some headache.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate