Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:25:59 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what happened to make world?

--B8ONY/mu/bqBak9m

On Thursday, 30 August 2007 at 21:20:13 +0200, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> # make world
> WARNING: make world will overwrite your existing FreeBSD
> installation, kill your cat and burn your house down...
>
> Now, THIS is quite funny... do you really thing that a person with
> - root access
> - the knowledge of the existence of "make world"
> needs this sort of things?

I'm sure they do, especially since things have changed.

There are many good reasons for this change, but it saddens me.  It
used to be possible to run 'make world', and indeed we advertised how
easy it was.  But when problems crept in, instead of fixing them, we
broke 'make world' up into small pieces.

Greg

--B8ONY/mu/bqBak9m

--B8ONY/mu/bqBak9m--