Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:32:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG (Nik Clayton)
Cc:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE forFreeBSDPetition

> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 02:41:31AM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > In fact, now that I think about it, our installation routine is
> > available only in English, isn't it? (I've heard that there's a
> > localized Japanese installer, but it isn't in the repository.)
>
> I know the French translation team have expressed an interest in a French
> sysinstall.
>
> Of course, step 1 in this project is localsing sysinstall in the first
> place.  Translating message strings is (I think) somewhat simpler.

I have XPG/4 tools which would allow this to be done using macros
in the source code to derive the initial "C" locale catalog from
the source code.  It could be re-derived, as necessary.  The need
to perform translation is really trivial, compared to this.

I am willing to make these tools available.  They do not understand
"#if" based block comments (for obvious reasons), and they do not
understand C++ sytle comments, but they should be usable against
perl, C, and C++ code because of the regularity of the grammar.

The tool is, in effect, a source post processor combined with a
set of preprocessor macros for inclusion in the code (perl people
would need to roll their own).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---